Monday, April 20, 2009

Product Review: Merino Flutter-Trim Tunic

Merino Flutter-Trim Tunic
Click here for product page
Item 12435
Regular: $79.50
Now: $49.99

A big "thanks!" goes to Starla729 who shared with us her great review of this top:

The Merino Flutter Trim Tunic caught my eye as soon as it came out. It seemed like a twist on a basic that could fit right into my wardrobe. Being a catalog only item, I held off on ordering for a while, until a free ship code with a low enough minimum came out for me. I ordered the light pewter in a medium. I'm 5'6" and usually take mediums in tops.

Anyway, what I like about the tunic is the silk chiffon trim. It is very pretty and delicate, adding a nice detail to the sweater. The merino wool is very soft. The texture reminds me of the softness of the Portland Merino Cardigan. However, the wool in the light pewter color is very sheer.

Also, the v-neck on the sweater is very low for my liking. I tried putting a cami underneath to take care of the sheerness and low v, but the cami took away from the silk chiffon trim at the neckline. The two together just didn't seem right.

Lastly, I felt this tunic ran large. I almost felt I could size down to a small, and I never wear a size small in tops. I didn't feel the tunic had a lot of shape to it, it seemed a more boxy cut, and didn't define the waist enough for me. I'm not sure if that is just the tunic cut of the sweater or if sizing down would have helped. The length of the tunic hit about 6 inches past my waist.


Overall, I am disappointed with the sweater and it will be going back. It's a pretty piece, and I wonder if a darker color and sizing down would be more of what I am after.


"Thanks!" again to Starla729 for sharing with us her great review! Especially since this is catalog/online only item and I was wondering about the fit/ sizing of this sweater.

What are your thoughts on the Merino Flutter-Trim Tunic? Are you considering or already have purchased this sweater? If so, please share with us your reviews too! :)

10 comments:

  1. thanks for posting this alexis and starla for writing the review! i've been wondering about this sweater and it looks really cute and soft. i really appreciate the sizing and fit tips. i'll have to try it out for myself to see if it works.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I haven't ordered it for myself (yet) and reviews like these really help. Thanks Alexis & Starla! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Alexis and Starla! I've been loving this sweater since I first saw it, but it is so frustrating to figure out the sizing and fit on some of these catalog/online only pieces. Fantastic review and really great info. Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just returned this sweater myself. Your review was right on--too long, too boxy and the v is too low. Definitely size down if you're going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your review - I returned this one after receiving it last week. I was so disappointed because it looks incredible in the catalog! I ordered it in navy and felt that in the dark color the chiffon trim looked very cheap - not what I was expecting at all. Thank goodness for free shipping!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty sweater, no quality complaints but I returned the pewter and light celery because the length and deep v-neck gave me the portions of an oompah-loompah. (I'm 5'-4" and long torso.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this helpful review. The deep V and the thinness of the fabric were a concern, and I think I will probably pass on it. I can only shop online, so this review saved me the hassle of a return. It's a shame because it looks so pretty in the catalog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm glad some of you found this review helpful and it's interesting to hear others had similiar input about the sweater too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a slub knit tee from this season- had to size down to an XS which I never wear :( and it is really low cut too.....will need a scarf or cami when I wear it. Whomever patterned/cut the necklines this year was not thinking about covering stuff up....

    ReplyDelete
  10. The review for this sweater was dead on. I ordered the sweater in Navy and in a Medium, thinking since the model was leaner on top I should avoid the small...BAD IDEA. It looked like a bag on me and the neckline was so low its hopeless. What's the point of wearing a tank top underneath when the biggest design add on to this is the neckline.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)