Thursday, October 15, 2009

J.Crew's Wedding Dress Graces Cover of Knot Mag

"Thanks!" to Em (in this post) who let us know that one of J.Crew's wedding gowns appears on the cover of the latest Knot Magazine. (The J.Crew dress is the one all the way to the left, on the mannequin.)

The wedding dress featured is the Silk Tricotine Lyden Gown (Item 18138; $750.00). This dress is a part of J.Crew's Wedding & Parties Fall 2009 Collection. J.Crew describes it as the following:
Sleek, sophisticated glamour of the old-Hollywood variety in pure midweight silk tricotine. Features a shirred, fitted V-neck bodice and crossover back, with a Watteau train and french bustling detail. The slim, bias-cut skirt is slightly longer in back. Sleeveless. Self-covered buttons at side seam. Fully lined in silk charmeuse. Falls to floor. Import. Dry clean. Specially packaged in a custom-made box to ensure your gown is always as beautiful as the first day you wore it.
The dress looks absolutely breathtaking on the model. However, I am not sure how great it would look in-person. The Watteau train and French bustling detail could either do a great job hiding my hips & butt or a terrible job of emphasizing them. ;)

What are your thoughts on the dress? Are you a fan of the overall style? Do you like the details, including the Watteau train and French bustling?

4 comments:

  1. I don't like it. Looks like one of those poop bags that horses wear.

    Side note: Why are some women so obsessed with covering their rear ends? Behinds are not like arms...they can't simply be covered while maintaining a streamlined silhouette in clothes. Hips and rear are such a big part of the overall picture that if you don't like yours, do some squats. You're better off trying to put it in a different shape...wearing stuff to cover is like when overweight people wear clothes that are too big to "hide" the weight. You aren't hiding anything and you just look frumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I went to a wedding and saw that on the bride, I would think "Oh no, something is wrong with her dress!" like a pinning mishap had occured in the back. It's definitely not for me, although I like billowy types of shapes on special day dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought this dress 3 months ago and I LOVE it. It looks beautiful on and a couple of my friends (who are also engaged) tried it on and honestly, it looked good on all of us. All 3 of us have different body types too. The French bustle is what drew me to the dress because I thought it made the dress look so classy and it does in person as well. It covers most of my rear end so in a sense I don't have to worry about it. I have a rather large chest and I had to have the dress taken out a bit in that area, but it's fine now. The only complaint I have, if any, is that you can't wear ANYTHING under this gown. Even a spanx is out of the question because the seam showed right through the dress. The dress is 3 layers and fairly heavy but with silk like that, you can see A LOT. I can't wait to wear it in my wedding in Hawaii Oct. 2nd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the dress that I got for my upcoming wedding, and I am very happy with it. It works great with luxurious winter accessories or with a flowing long silk tulle veil for a summer. The train looks kind of funny on the model in this photo, because she is a little too cigarette shaped to get a nice drape out of this dress. The other model on the J. Crew website wears this dress much better. The important thing to understand about this dress is that it is a simple bias cut silk dress, which is made for draping a great body. A girl with a big butt could look good in this dress, because many girls with big butts have great bodies. However, if you are looking for a dress that forgives figure flaws, this isn't the dress. This dress shows off a body, which doesn't need a full a-line skirt or strategic ruching to hide anything. If you are looking for something that I offers a draping effect, but more forgiving of figure flaws, I think there are better choices for that. In fact, J. Crew has a few that may work better. The Sophia dress drapes nice on everyone and it's cheaper. I wore it when I married my first husband over 5 years ago, and it's still part of the J. Crew collection.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)