Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Love It or Leave It: Madewell Chunky Cowl Collar

As many of us have noticed and commented before, Madewell items are now being sold on J.Crew's website (click here to shop Madewell online). One item in the recent roll-out caught my attention...

Madewell Chunky Cowl Collar
Click here for product page
Item 21488
Regular: $45.00

According to the item page:
Our creative director, Jenna, stopped by our sister store, Madewell, to bring you a few of her favorites for the season. Here's their newest take on the scarf: a supersoft knit collar with the look and feel of a favorite sweater. It's so cozy and warm, you'll want to wear it all season long. Wool/ acrylic/ poly with Lurex® metallic threads. Dry clean. 30"L x 15"W.
Okay, so it's not quite a scarf, not quite a sweater... but oh, man! Let's call it a circular collar scarf (CCF)? Whatever the name is, I am not a fan of Madewell's version. It's not to say I don't like the concept of the CCF. In fact, I have seen the CCF in fashion magazines the past few months and some of the versions look really cute (basically laying around the neck like a scarf, without the ends).

My main issue with Madewell's version is how it lays on the model from the back side. It looks like a sloppy sweater draping over her shoulders, instead of a cute scarf wrapped around her neck.

Madewell's version seems cumbersome to wear (maybe it's the dimensions?) I just know I would keep playing with Madewell's Chunky Cowl Collar to make it look "right". This item is a "leave it" for me.

What are your thoughts on the Madewell's Chunky Cowl Collar? Do you "love it" or would you "leave it"? Have you seen this accessory in-person? If so, please share with us your review. :)

Quick Poll: Do you like Madewell's Chunky Cowl Collar?

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a chunky wool collar from BR last winter, and I don't think I wore it a single time. It's lovely to look at, but IRL use, it's annoying and itchy. Right now it's in a box at Manhattan Mini Storage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like the way it looks from the back, either--looks like a child's sweater is hugging your neck. Sometimes scarves I wear tend to shift out of the original position, and it would be bothersome of the squared off back ended up in the front or on the side. There are nicer things to wrap around your neck for $45. Still haven't seen much Jcrew-presented Madewell items that I like, though. It could just be a difference in style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I sort of like the idea but not sure I would wear it instead of a scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BR has a new one this season and I almost bought it: smaller than this, very soft, a few buttons i think for style (not function). I would wear it to fill in the gap between coat and neck and it would be better than a scarf because it would not need arranged nor would it fall off.
    The Madewell version? Looks like a mess....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I voted for 'liked it' with the thought it would be okay for under a coat with an open neckline. It's something you'd pop off along with your coat if you're some place cozy. If you want to look different from the rest of the crowd, it's a nice alternative to wearing a scarf tied around the neck (as so many do today). I agree, in the photo it looks a bit sloppy from behind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a cute idea, but the back looks so big & bulky that I would be afraid it would give a "hunchback" effect under a winter coat or jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like neverending cowl scarves, but this one, with the squared off shape in the back, just looks weird. Not sure about the content either, sounds like it would be scratchy. Not impressed with Madewell.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I spotted a couple madewell t-shirts being sold at the jcrew outlet today!

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)