Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Product Review: Fleur-de-Lis Cardigan

Fleur-de-Lis Cardigan
Click here for product page
Item 18187
Regular: $158.00
Now: $99.00

J.Crew describes this top as:
Faceted stones hand appliquéd in a fleur-de-lis pattern give this cardigan a Parisian flair. The yarn is très chic too—a sumptuous blend of Italian cashmere, nylon and extrafine merino wool in a 12-gauge knit.
When J.Crew first introduced this top, I wondered how long it would be until I got it. Once it went on sale a few weeks ago, this cardigan started selling out. Then the pop-back game began... ;)

The fit of the cardigan is true-to-size (TTS). I was able to try on both the small and extra-small version and found that my normal extra-small size looked best (more fitted, especially from the side view). However, I could have easily gone up a size for a slightly looser fit (only slightly noticeable from the side) and look perfectly fine.

The color (which the image above accurately represents) is a soft neutral caramel. In my opinion, I see it working very well on all skin-tones.

The fabric of this v-neck cardigan feels quite soft, thanks to the blend containing cashmere. Although it is not pure cashmere which makes me wonder why it costs as much as 100% cashmere. Oh well!

As for the faceted stones, the design is really quite lovely. The stones themselves, have a somewhat rustic feel as some of the top layer is chipped off. I know this last part sounds weird and makes it sound cheap, but quite the opposite. It actually makes the cardigan have this really vintage chic feel to it. I should also add that J.Crew graciously gives a full button-bag of replacement stones in all sizes.

Overall, this three-quarter sleeve cardigan is lovely, but pricey. (Which might make it a perfect birthday or anniversary gift for us JCAs!) It's an item that will be used for many seasons to come.

What are your thoughts on the Fleur-de-Lis Cardigan? Have you tried on or own this top? If so, what is your review of the top? Would you recommend it to another fellow JCA?

8 comments:

  1. I think it's divine, but yes, it's not quite at the price point where I'd be willing to grab it up without my pocketbook wincing. I was just at one of the stores the other day. Their fabulous velvet blazers were on sale, and the dove grey one (my favorite) was there... but I walked away from it. Not quite the right size and I need to just say "no" to my jacket/coat obsession! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sweater really is beautiful. My only fear is that the stones would fall off. Do they sew back on? How are they anchored?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sweater is available in a small right now, but there's only 2 left! $119.99 plus extra 20% off and free shipping with order of $150. (EXTRA20)

    ReplyDelete
  4. denise, the prime magpie: I agree that it is an item that one would have to splurge on. :)

    Elizabeth: That is a great question! The stones have two tiny holes which is how they are sewn onto the sweater. The big stones are held on well-enough, but I can see how the little stones might be in danger if there was constant rubbing on them. Thankfully J.Crew provided lots of replacement stones.

    Verity: Thanks for letting us know. By the time I checked, it has sold out already. I can understand why too. I noticed that several eBay resellers have really ramped up the price for this cardigan because it sells out so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a cute sweater, but I did not purchase it because I don't think the color would look good on me, and it's too pricey for current budget.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought this cardigan on a pop-back with an add'l 20% off a few months ago and love it. I receive compliments everytime I wear it. I highly recommend it if you can find one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got it for $100 a couple of months back, just like NC mama, with an extra 20% off. I love it. I don't usually wear yellow well, but this is a good neutral color. It's kind of a "dress up" piece for me.

    It's really worthwhile if you can catch it. They must not have made too many of them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't think it was possible to make an item with fleur de lis that I'd dislike, but I just don't like this at all. The stones look a bit chintzy to me.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)