Friday, March 12, 2010

Madewell Email: Vintage meets modern

"Thanks!" to Marietta, HeidiG, & Jaden, who shared the latest email Madewell (click here) sent yesterday.

The email features the Crystal Collage Necklace ($88.00) which is described as the following: "an artful mosaic of chunky crystals— an elegant mix of old and new". I am usually not a fan of Madewell's jewelry, and unfortunately I am not impressed with this necklace.

I am not a big of fan of J.Crew's overall "go big or go home" slogan for the featured pieces in its jewelry collection as of late. But that is just me & my preferences. And who knows? I might see a JCA, or two, rockin' this or some other large piece from J.Crew which makes me want to own it too. :)

What are your thoughts on the Crystal Collage Necklace? Do you like or dislike the style?

2 comments:

  1. That's the issue I have with most costume jewelry: even if it's expensive, it's still made with low quality stones and base metal findings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that quality is a problem, by what sticks in my craw is that these biggies/weirdies are all touted as "statement" pieces. If something is heralded as an "outfit maker" and can "elevate a simple tee and jeans" why is it necessary to layer it with other statements? Do we need to say so many things at once with our accessories? This particular picture isn't even that bad, one necklace and half an armful of bracelets, if it was a JC jewelry ad it would have had three more necklaces, bracelets on the other arm, and a flower pin hanging off one of the chains. I'm all for extremes in advertising or editorials that wouldn't fly in real life, but it's been overboard lately. I've never given that much thought to the axiom, Look in the mirror before you go out and take off one accessory. But for the past six months or so, I can't get it out of my head. I wonder why...

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)