Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Mini-Interview with J.Crew's Jenna Lyons {part III}

There is a mini-interview with J.Crew's Creative Director Jenna Lyons over at FabSugar (click here) about how J.Crew does jewelry. {go big!} ;) To read the other two interviews, refer to {part II} and {part I}.
Fab Exclusive! Jenna J.Crew Reveals the Jewelry Process
By FabSugar
March 2, 2010

When I talked to J.Crew's Creative Director Jenna Lyons during New York Fashion Week, I had to ask her about those wonderful J.Crew jewels. Coincidentally, you can learn all about the brand's jewelry designer, Molly Carey, in the latest catalog. Molly sounds pretty rad, and here's what Jenna revealed about the upcoming Turkey-inspired Fall jewelry collection.

How do you start the jewelry process?
It's one of those things where it's anywhere and everywhere. This past season the girl who oversees jewelry went to Turkey and came back with some crazy cool pieces.

Is this for the Spring or Fall collection?
I'm sorry I'm so off, I never know…

Well, you guys have like 10 seasons.
(Laughs). Yeah, we’re not on the same schedule as everybody else . . . that would have been Fall. Turkey-inspired. And that had nothing to do with the rest of the line, but she went on a trip and came back with these crazy things, and I was like, that's kind of amazing. So we decided to use them and they put it together. What's nice is, I think it's the way people dress. I don't wear head-to-toe J.Crew. I think when things look too matched, it just looks matched and less interesting. We do a lot of vintage shopping, tons of vintage-inspired stuff. We do a lot of things where we just take stuff that we have and topple them together and play with them and then send them out and they come back. It’s actually a lot of physical tweaking, or that’s not so cute, or let’s add this here, it’s a very tactile process.
I look forward to seeing the upcoming Jewelry collection from J.Crew. Although I am not a huge fan of their {considerably} larger pieces, I love love love their layering necklaces and cocktail rings. :)

What are your thoughts on the article? Any tidbit you found interesting in the mini-interview with Ms. Lyons?

9 comments:

  1. New promo alert - 30% off and free shipping on final sale items - $150 (after 30% off applied). Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. woo hoo! now if I can only find what I want haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was waiting for a promo like this! And on top of that i scored a much desired pop back! Although i shouldn't get too excited given some JCA's unfortunate experiences with pop backs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crewlade is strong.

    If anyone's interested in the linen silk city pants (20184), the measurements are:

    sz 4 - relaxed waist 31, hips 39
    sz 6 - relaxed waist 32, hips 40

    They have relaxed vs stretched waist measurements.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting this article Alexis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eh, I have several jewelry items from Turkey and none of them are giant, tacky pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I rarely look at J. Crew jewelry. Some of the stones are beautifully colored. But, overall, I like much simpler (and less chunky) jewelry.

    Whenever I read about J. Crew jewelry, I remember a poster from another fashion forum. She commented that Jenna Lyons should stop "tweaking" and "modernizing" vintage jewelry (and, subsequently, overpricing it in J. Crew stores). Lyons should leave the jewelry as is, so the people who truly appreciate it can buy it.

    Although I like Jenna, I can certainly understand the sentiment.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)