Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Product Review: Pima Cotton Agadir Top

Pima Cotton Agadir Top
Click here for product page
Item 24643
Regular $49.50
Now $39.99

J.Crew describes this ready-for-warm-weather-top as the following:
We love this simple cap-sleeve top in thinly striped, light-as-air cotton (especially the neon thread detail on the button placket). It's the perfect throw-on-and-go spring top. Scoopneck. Cap sleeves with elastic ruching.
A big "thanks!" to Belle de Jour who shared the following review:
Not much to say about this one.

I purchased this one for a casual summer shirt that wasn't a tee. The sizing was a concern as I am broad in the shoulders and have problems with broadcloths which don't have any give. I did however order a small because it seemed boxy. I take a small or medium in tees - small in the tissue, and mediums in the jerseys.

The small fits well, but not perfectly. There is some volume around my waist and hips, but the shoulders are right. It's a little long, but nothing that I can't live with; and it could easily be hemmed were you so inclined (may consider that yet, it's just straight).

It will look best tucked in. The fabric is a good weight, not paperthin or see-through yet light enough to offer protection from the sun when you want something other that a tee.

It's definitely casual not work attire; but someone with better styling ideas than me could probably figure out how to wear it. I can see that it will work well layered, as pictured. Don't plan on unbuttoning more that one button without something on underneath! The collar and the sleeves look as though they're elasticized, however it's painstaking gathering.
"Thanks!" again to Belle de Jour for her great review of this top!

What are your thoughts on the Pima Cotton Agadir Top? Have you seen or own this top? If so, what is your review of the fabric & cut ? Would you recommend it to another fellow JCA?

9 comments:

  1. I ordered this top and HATE it. I ordered my regular size (small), and this could easily fit a person who wears a medium or large. Yes, it runs that big.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this top in a small, and yes, it is quite large, but I like the look for lounging around the house. :) It is very comfortable. I have actually worn it twice already! Once buttoned up over a pair of minnies, and once open over a tank.

    I don't think I would wear this to work or to go out, but for chilling with the kids while they play outside on a nice spring day, it is just what I need.

    Just my two cents.

    Also, had I ordered the x-small, I would have kept it, but I am not too bothered by the bigger fit of the small. So, go with your smaller of two sizes if you want a closer fit. I may get photos up on my blog later of me in it for those who are curious (maybe later this afternoon?).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dina - I would love to see pictures. I ordered it yesterday. I thought it might be a nice summer top to wear while chasing the kids. I did order a small, now I'm wondering if XS would have been better. Is it sheer? Looking forward to some IRL pictures. I hate how they have the model slouching over and her arm in front of her in the first shot. I guess that is code for *warning - this top may not appear the same in real life!" But with 30% off and no FS I took a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this top!! I actually have two - bought it in my regular size (roomy) and the other sized down for a more fitted look. The material feels great and is a perfect summer shirt for pool days - and dare I say, styled right I would wear it to work. Not sheer -- Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mack is spot on in the description, Kristin. I think it is just the right amount of weight, not too heavy, and definitely not sheer. :)

    I think you will be fine in the size you ordered.

    And, yes, I will get pics up soon. Just later, when the kids are napping!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alexis, this is great! These kinds of posts are so helpful. In fact, I just posted a review of the Cropped ruffle cardigan and Chiffon Tier Tank on my own blog, of a few items that arrived yesterday - you're welcome to link to it if you'd like :)

    Emily

    http://spillingthebeans-emily.blogspot.com/2010/03/jc-good-and-bad.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was very disappointed in this top. It reminded me of the smocks we would wear in elementary school art class to keep from getting paint all over our clothes. I got my regular size (XS) and was swimming in it. It wasn't even like a relaxed fit - it was simply WAY too big. The stripes are also much darker than they appear in the catalog/website. And the fabric, which looked in the pictures to be a soft, washed oxford-type cotton, was more poplin-like. Overall, it was not at all what I was expecting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As my DD would say, "This is yuck." I think my reaction was so strong since I was so looking forward to wearing it, maybe I'd have given it a "meh" otherwise. Fabric was too thick, stripes and neon too dark, fit too pouchy.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)