Wednesday, April 14, 2010

J.Crew's Jenna Lyons is the Go-To Girl

A big "thanks!" to KitsMommy (in this post), who shared the following article from the London Times Online (click here):
The go-to girl for fortysomething fashion
Jenna Lyons is the creative director of J.Crew, the American brand worn by the First Lady and other stylish US women

By Lisa Armstrong

April 14, 2010


In your 40s and can’t find anything to wear? This woman thinks she has the answers. And she has form. Because this is Jenna Lyons, 41, the creative director — and according to many saviour — of J.Crew, the American clothing chain to which Michelle Obama, among others, turns when she needs a chic wardrobe reality check.


The 6ft New Yorker with a three-and-a-half-year-old son and a 75-year-old mother (both J.Crew customers), along with the 55 other designers who work with her at J.Crew, has been so successful at tapping in to what grown-up but still fashion aware women want to wear that at the end of last year her bosses slapped a million dollar handcuffs deal on her.


Her secret? “I like what we do, and I wear what we do. I wouldn’t say I’ve made J.Crew over in my image, that would be presumptuous. You do have to work from instinct, while keeping a very clear head about what it is your brand stands for.


Under the helm of Lyons, J.Crew has come to stand for a clear, reassuring refuge for women who are desperate for a dose of fashion flair combined with a bracing accessibility and clean lines. It is a combination that it is frustratingly hard to find on this side of the Atlantic, where the high street excels at throwaway trends but can’t seem to step up to the challenge of well-made, contemporary classics. The labels that do manage to come up with a more sophisticated, thoughtful take — such as Joseph or Jaeger — operate at the upper end of the high street.


Lyons seems at a loss to explain why others find the task so tough. “Looked at from one point of view, there are a lot of clothes that women of any age can wear now. I love short skirts, for instance, but I wear them with tights. And the twentysomething who sits down the corridor from me wears the same dress, but with bare legs. My mother wears my toothpick jeans — actually she stole mine — but she’ll team them with ballet flats, a blazer and a stripy Breton T-shirt whereas I always wear mine with a high heel and a nude colour top.”


Every time she visits, Lyons ends up pulling all the clothes out of her mother’s closet, styling them into new permutations and then taking Polaroids of all the outfits for her mother. That could be why she has such an empathy with the dilemmas women face down daily when it comes to getting dressed.


“It’s easy to get overwhelmed, bored or alienated by what’s out there,” she acknowledges. “My mother’s always saying she has nothing to wear — and she has tons. What’s lacking are role models. I think that it is symptomatic of a lot of other issues we have about ageing. When I go to LA I see that everyone is dressing like a teenager. Maybe it’s panic,” she muses. “Or the cult of fame — everyone wants to dress like celebrities, and celebrities are all chasing youth.”


Lyons, who is married to an artist and commutes daily to her Manhattan office from her home in Brooklyn, says: “The fact is, you have to get more selective as you get older. You need to learn what works for you, both in terms of functionality and shape.” Lyons is impressively clear-headed about what works for J.Crew. “We’re a clean, American brand.

“Military is good for us — it’s versatile, chic, timeless. Rock chics aren’t us, although we would do a biker boot because that’s a classic which looks great with everything. Ethnic is something we tend to steer clear of, especially if everyone else is doing it. Pale, nude colours are great. Camel is a much tougher call — most women don’t like how they look in camel. I know it’s what Phoebe Philo’s done a lot of at Céline, and I love what she’s doing there, but it succeeds because she’s working with the best, most expensive fabrics.”


J.Crew has been known to push the boat out, however. Lyons laughs when I tell her how last winter I became obsessed tracking down a bouclé tweed jacket that had sold out in every branch in New York (damn Michelle Obama, she wore the matching skirt and the vultures swooped before I got there). I eventually found the last one in town — two sizes too small, but nothing that couldn’t be (drastically) altered. It was worth it. The tweed is excellent and the jacket even has a gold chain stitched into the inside hem, a nice further homage to Chanel. It’s better, in other words, than it needed to be.


“It’s true. We could have got away with less,” she notes. “But you noticed that it was good \[the tweed came from Linton, the Cumbrian company that also makes tweeds for Chanel\] and that cannot be underestimated as a marketing tool. In fact, forget everything else — what our research has told us over again is that the key factor in turning customers on to our brand is word of mouth. Women trust their friends over and above anything else.”


While Lyons loves fashion (“it’s frightening how much I shop”), she’s not wildly interested in trends. Unlike British high street chains, J.Crew, guided by Lyons, scythes a path through this season’s key looks (“we’d do ruffles, although I’m not a huge fan of droopy or wispy ...”).


When she studies the catwalk, she’s looking for moods rather than specifics. “The problem as you move through your thirties, forties and beyond,” she muses, “is that there’s almost too much choice. So many women have no idea how to put it all together.” Her advice: aim for a degree of counter-balance, and edit ruthlessly.
“If you like a soft, slouchy feel — a pyjama style pair of trousers, for instance — wear it with a tailored jacket, a menswear jacket and a pair of heels. Structure is your friend.”

So, too, are beautiful items that transcend (and justify) that feverish impulse to buy that infects the most restrained consumer. “Ask yourself when you’d wear it and how long you’ll love it for. Does it make you look better than the outfit you walked in in? It’s not so much about limiting your choices as empowering them.”
I enjoyed this article! There were a lot of great quotes from Ms. Lyons like being more selective about clothing as you become older & knowing what works for you. I also think that J.Crew's collection (for the most part) consists of classic staples. I know what I buy will be worn for years to come. So its great to hear the different ways I can wear a piece as I mature.

What are your thoughts on the article? Any points you found particularly interesting? What is your take on Jenna Lyons' contribution for the Women's line? :)

19 comments:

  1. I agree the article had many good points but I was disappointed by her affirmation on neutrals. I wish they would go back slightly to the rich saturated purples, kelly greens, cobalts of a few years ago.

    sugarandspiceandnice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. She needs to be led to the sinner's stool for this comment:

    (“we’d do ruffles, although I’m not a huge fan of droopy or wispy ...”).

    And we'd all line up in our ruffled droopy garments and wait for her to start blushing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I wouldn’t say I’ve made J.Crew over in my image, that would be presumptuous." Hmm, if the sky-high heeled shoe fits . . .

    I actually like a lot of what she said, as I fall into the demographic to whom the article is presumably addressed--the fortysomething who's not ready for Chicos, Coldwater Creek, or St. John. If only what she said reflected what JC actually does.

    Really, I think JC would be mortified if on this side of the Atlantic they were identified as the go-to retailer for the 40ish set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tabitha,
    Yes, I thought something similar..."We'd do ruffles" (Yeah, I kind of gathered that fact from the millions of ruffled items offered over the years!)

    Overall, I liked the article and enjoyed this post:) Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed the article; thanks for posting this! The only part I really got irked at was when she stated, "I love short skirts, for instance, but I wear them with tights." Yes, Jenna, we KNOW you love short skirts as you cannot make a decent a-line/full skirt! Our only options are minis or pencil skirts. I like to have options to wear to work. Otherwise, I enjoyed reading this! I agree that the JC women's line transcends age groups. Look at the range of ages we have participating in this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting reading, thank you for posting it Alexis!
    Now I understand why I couldn't find anything beige or camel at Jcrew last winter. Who knew that women don't like how they look in camel?
    Besides the unfortunate comment on the ruffles I agree with her on everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AppGal,

    I am so with you on the skirts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear you on the skirts, Appgal! This is one reason I keep posting in the Looking to Buy thread for skirts from several seasons ago. The Belles were great.

    I liked this article, thanks for posting Alexis. I certainly agreed with the comment Jenna made about being selective. I am buying much less lately. Not just from J. Crew but across the board. I have to really LOVE something to purchase it, and I'm making quite a few more returns than I used to rather than settling for imperfect fit or quality. The closet is much more refined these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I came to the conclusion today that I probably pin too many "style hopes" on Jenna and JC. The staff at my local B&M were rocking the JCrew and I had an epiphany...they rocked it because they used the JC pieces in their own way...they created their own unique style and that, I think, is the take home message for me. I overheard their chatter (my bad) and while they were drooling over the spring items, the two SAs admitted that they kept the full skirts and madras from the past lines.

    They know what works for them (they looked fab too!) just as I'm finding out what in the catalog is working for me. No harm, no foul...

    So this post was very timely for me. I think Jenna and I were having a "meeting of the minds" haha One thing that *is* very interesting to me is the fact that she said she has to take polaroids of outfits for her mom. I would love that - a "how to" guide for more of the basic pieces...how a "rocker" would wear it, how a "classic girl" would wear it, etc. I wish we had a "Jack" like the men's line in that sense...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Audball, how interesting to hear the SA's saying they kept their skirts from past seasons too!

    As to your comment about wanting a "Jack" or someone to help with working pieces into the wardrobe or making outfits, we have one :) While I have yet to take full advantage of the range of services she offers, Fabulous Florida Mommy is a great resource for this. You can email her for specifics on what she can do for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great article, thanks for posting Alexis!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Hexicon.. I think it's pretty clear that Jenna has made over J.Crew in her image. For the most part, anyway. Before Jenna, there was no neon, no piles of ruffles, no fishnet anklets with booties. C'mon. Let's just be honest here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for posting this. I also enjoyed reading it and agree with other JCA's are saying here.
    I'm also trying to find pieces that I LOVE and can wear for more than one season.

    I'm trying to work on my "structure" and figure out how outfits should balance out...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whenever I'm in one of the Denver area J. Crew stores, I only see women aged teen to mid-30s. Sometimes (at age 40), I feel like the gray hair in the room.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm all onboard with most of what was said as well. And like Desert Flower I've culled my wardrobe down to only things I will wear - rather than picking up sale items that I might wear someday. I'm also a lot more discerning of quality now than I ever was in the past - if it looks like it's falling apart now, how's it going to look after one or two wears? I just can't afford to buy disposable clothing anymore, and I don't want to. I wonder if it's me growing up, or if it's society in general. I'm certainly skewing away from trends as MUCH as possible nowadays. I'm only 31, but I guess that's old enough to know what I like and what will be a staple for my closet now and (hopefully!) ten years from now. Damn ruffles. They have no place in my closet ever! Besides the skinny pant that's one trend I'll be more than happy to see bite the dust. Great article - thanks for posting, Alexis!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Desert Flower: You are absolutely right! I should definitely give FFM a shout-out and ask for help! Her combinations are awesome :) ...!

    ReplyDelete
  17. audball -- Good point. The SAs in my store are also incorporating the new with older J Crew pieces. When I ask when they got it, it's usually a couple years old.

    Good article overall. And yes lengthen those hemlines. It's ridiculous. Next they'll be pushing leotards and tights, a la Gaga and Beyonce, in the catalogs. PASS !!!! Interestingly, a similar comment was made on the Talbot's homepage. And maybe another retailer about the hemlines being too high.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was surprised to learn they have 55 designers. With that number, I would expect more original, unique ideas; not more of the same old, same old for the past seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Time to hand out 55 pink slips and rehire some new blood. Droopy, wispy is all jcrew does. It's sad.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)