Tuesday, April 20, 2010

J.Crew Spotted in Marie Claire!

A big "thanks!" to Desert Flower, who not only let us know about a J.Crew item being spotted in the May 2010 issue of Marie Claire Magazine, but also scanned the images for us to view! (Click on the images below to see it larger.)

First, what is up with that look that the magazine is trying to promote: jacket, top, & ...bikini bottoms!?! There is no location I can think of, where that style is wearable. None. Okay, I am done with that rant. ;)

The J.Crew item featured looks to be the Super 120s Peplum Jacket (Item 17055; $188.00) in a delicious light coffee shade. Right now, the only shades being offered are Black, Navy, & Espresso. So this might be a new shade coming up for Spring. J.Crew describes the Peplum Jacket as the following:
We designed this jacket to work overtime with a pretty shirred peplum waist that's meant to flatter. Made in four-season Super 120s Australian merino wool. Why so super? 120 is the measure of the yarn (the higher the number, the finer the yarn), and since 120 is one of the finest, our fabric boasts a silky-smooth finish and refined drape. Feminine silhouette. Hidden button closure. Elbow sleeves with vents. Hidden welt pockets. Fully lined in stretch fabric.
It is a super cute style (with the elbow sleeves and high waist) to wear to the office. I really like the way J.Crew styled the Black version (so it doesn't have to be worn with the matching pants). Even though I like the new beige shade, I am not sure how versatile it is.

What are your thoughts on the Jacket featured in the magazine? Have you tried on or purchase the jacket listed here? If so, please share! :)

11 comments:

  1. I love this jacket in the beige color! I can't wait to check it out IRL. But really, Marie Claire, what's with listing a $395 jacket from Anne Klein a STEAL? Even listing jackets in the $150+ range is pushing it, but much more palatable than $400 on jacket. I realize that the SPLURGE outfit will set you back over $3K, but like you said, Alexis, where and WHY do they think this style is wearable?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the jacket is the ish.. however $188 is too much. I would pay max $100.
    enidp

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought this jacket at FP last fall and found it to be a good purchase. It is great over a suiting dress or skirt, and I also wear it more casually with Minnies.

    The only downside is that the elbow sleeves limit how it can be layered, especially in the wintertime--it does not look good with long sweater sleeves hanging out.

    But as for the rest of the spread in MC: gack, is the no-pants look really catching on?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get where they're going with this trend, but yeah- bikini bottoms no way! It's a shame they didn't promote tapshorts instead, which can give you a similar look but a few inches of an inseam so you're not showing your booty to the whole world. I loooove a good tapshort and I've found they can be really wearable (but then again- I love my legs!), mmhm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've got to wonder about the no pants thing. Did Lady Gaga start that? It looks like the model's wearing an expensive diaper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Their no-pants outfits look ridiculous and, as others already noted, are totally inappropriate for anything other than sitting at home.

    The elbow length sleeves are kind of cute, but they're too informal for most of my suit-wearing occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chloe - LOL, I was about to leave the exact same comment about bikini bottoms! I just cannot even fathom on what planet they would be OK as a pants or shorts replacement. That whole layout is beyond ridiculous.

    I ripped it from my copy out so I can have a good chuckle every once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this jacket! I bought the butterscotch (?) color on sale for about $40 as a ride-along to get free shipping, and I ended up keeping it because it was so cute and inexpensive.

    I do not, however, wear mine with a bikini/diaper bottom....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just saw that feature in Marice Claire as I was reading the mag on the train ride home last night. loved the jacket, BUT was just as flummoxed as you about the 'look' they were styling. WTF.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the jacket in black... to mix and match with my other Super 120s black suiting pieces. I have to wear a suit almost every day for my job and I like this jacket because it breaks up the monotony. It's very cute... but I think it runs a little small.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)