Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Launch Party for Fenton/Fallon's + J.Crew

"Thanks!" to Raina (of the lovely "If The Lamp Shade Fits" blog) who shared the following article from NY Mag's The Cut (click here for the entire article):
Sally Singer Wears Target, and Everyone She Knows Buys J.Crew
By Caitlin Petreycik

April 14, 201


Vogue's Sally Singer wears clothes from Target — the designer ones, anyway. "I loved the Rodarte for Target collaboration, and I bought a lot of it and wear it," she gushed at the launch party for Fenton/Fallon's limited-edition jewelry collection for J.Crew last night. She added, "I love what Vena Cava did for Converse." Singer also said she wears a lot of J.Crew, which one would expect from a hostess of a J.Crew party. "I buy a lot of the shirts because I love the way that they’re fitted from the inside," she told us. "Whenever they work with Liberty or any of those shirtmakers I buy even more of them. I buy pants here. I buy flats here, all the little ballet slippers and things. Not only do I buy J.Crew, everyone I know buys J.Crew."


Even Anna Wintour? "I never ask Anna Wintour what she’s wearing." Singer replied. " I don’t speak for my boss’s clothes. But a lot of people at Vogue wear J.Crew." Things must be busy over at the Vogue offices — Singer revealed that CBS's one-hour special on Fashion's Night Out has started filming, though she's not involved in the project. ...

First, only Jenna could pull off that outfit. On her, it looks rather pulled-together and chic. On me, it would look like I am some reject Muppet character. (It's not quite a mop, and it's not quite a puppet, but MAN ha ha heh...)

Second, the Fenton/Fallon + J.Crew collaboration kind of reminds me of Chrysler's PT Cruiser. I remember reading an article where Chrysler initially found that the majority of consumers disliked the car. However, there was a small percentage who loved the style of the car and was willing to pay the price tag to own it. That is like this collaboration. Even though I am not a big fan, I think there is a small percentage of JCAs who absolutely adore it and don't mind the cost. Which I totally get & respect. :)

Third, it is great that J.Crew is adored by so many in the fashion community. It speaks volumes about its transformation in recent years.

What are your thoughts on the article? Disagree or agree with any of the points made? Anything you found particularly interesting? :)

12 comments:

  1. I've never liked PT Cruisers.

    So...yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, but I don't like Jenna's outfit at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. other than the vest, she's just wearing tonal oxford/chinos/pumps. what's so hard about that? i find jenna's love of fur incredibly off-putting and tacky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenna's outfit looks awful! Not a fan of the jewelry either but that is fashion. Thank goodness we don't all like the same thing and look the same!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry but if I was rich I wouldn't be buying clothes from Target (no offense meant to anyone) nor would I be dressed like Jenna in that photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is the first time I haven't thought Jenna looked good. Oh wait, the second - I didn't like the all denim outfit either. I do like the jewelery but it's too pricey for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like Jenna is having the same problem I have when I try and wear low-rise pants....her shirt won't stay tucked in. That's (one) reason I do not like low-rise pants.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Jenna's outfit is horrible here...

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fur looks ridiculous. Gives new meaning to having a monkey on your back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unfortunately, I can't buy most any of Target's collaboration clothing, either. Although I love the concept, too many things are just ill-fitting and often made of yucky material =( Maybe she tailors the hell out of them?? =)

    I think Jenna's outfit is a yawn. Take off the fur-vest (which is plain, bad) and she is wearing the most basic, boring and really the J Crew of old. It wouldn't be bad if you weren't at a fashion-show for your own line...which was featuring plenty of over-the-top, whack-a-doo fashions.

    I agree, her pants do point to one of many examples of why they need to offer some higher inseams. I personally cannot wear their pants. Why not offer something besides the lower rise which is not universally flattering?? Get on the BR bandwagon and offer varying styles based on the "rise" so there are some other options based on body-type. I would love to buy some JC pants!

    Not a fan of the FF jewelry at all..imo, a strange collaboration decision. I guess if enough people are liking it, that's all that matters! Alternatively..we know where it will be. Hello, Final Sale;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. IMO Jenna looks absolutely ridiculous. But I like your Fenton Fallon/PT Cruiser analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't mind Jenna's outfit but it may be that I am incredibly envious of her stick thin body and the fact that she can actually wear the Skimmer pants! It's nice to see her wearing basic Crew pants and showing how she dresses them up. But, gosh that girl is THIN! Eat a sandwich!

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)