Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Product Review: Adriana Silk Rows Tank

Adriana Silk Rows Tank
Click here for product page
Item 23399
Regular: $79.50
Now: $69.50

J.Crew describes this ready-for-warm-weather-top as the following:
Our office is buzzing over this update to the classic tank. Our designers hand draped rows of raw-cut silk on the bodice to create a beautiful back-and-forth detail. The silhouette is slouchy but slim, with a slight empire cut. Silk
A big "thanks!" to Phyllis who shared the following review:
I purchased the Adriana silk rows tank in navy with the intention of sprucing up my wardrobe with a few dressier tops that would work in a variety of outfits. In theory this tank should have done the trick but it ends up in the return pile because it just wasn't quite right for me.

I usually wear XS/0 and so I chose the top in 0. I considered buying it in P0 but think I read somewhere that the top is a bit short and I didn't want to sacrifice length. Right off the bat it definitely did NOT look like the model's top -- I think the top in the photo was manipulated to look more textured/ruffled, etc. Real product is very smooth and flat. I personally liked the navy color but I can see this being more of a statement in a lighter color.

Fit on me is a bit too loose though it can be hidden under a cute cardi. But without something to cover up the looseness, you would tell that the armholes are much larger and looser on my frame. Other than that, the rest of the tank fit nicely down the sides with a bit of flare at the bottom with the hem hitting just below my hip, which I thought was a perfect length.

The rows of silk look little underwhelming in person, very flat and kind of blah (again, not as cute as ruffled as the picture). Detailing on the flaps are a nice touch. Definitely easy to dress up or down.

I suppose someone more familiar with J.Crew's silk tops and a bit more daring could have played around with this top to get the desired look/texture. But even so, without the proper fit, I can't really justify paying what I did, even if it was on sale. All in all, a pretty top with potential but not just didn't make the cut for me!
"Thanks!" again to Phyllis for her great review of this top!

What are your thoughts on the Adriana Silk Rows Tank? Have you seen or own this top? If so, what is your review of the fabric & cut ? Would you recommend it to another fellow JCA?

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the nice review. Not a fan of this top's design or fit myself. Definite pass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ordered a PS (at full price) in the light pink color and was a bit disappointed myself. I definitely agree that the version on the model has been manipulated in some way so as to appear more textured, which was a disappointment to discover (although frankly probably better for my bustline that its more flat that it appeared!). Its perfectly lovely beneath a blazer as an alternative to the usual boring camisole, but I thought it might be do-able with jeans and it just feels too....flimsy perhaps? In the end, I think I'm keeping it although I don't predict it will see much action. I do appreciate that this was offered in petite sizing, though, and hope that those of us who swim in JCrew's non-petite offerings will have more sized-down options in this vein.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that tank I cant decide pink or navy, maybe both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. New promo - 20% off & free shipping on all women's tees thru 4/12

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really wanted that top too but was it Summerilla that tried it on last week? Hers was smooth and ruffleless too, shame that it looks so much better in the online version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ordered this tank in the yellow color (maize?) and the parisian pink during one of the 30% off promos. Ended up liking the maize better as more of a statement color and with my skin tone. Had to size down as well. I think this is a top where color matters a ton. The lighter color was just kind of lifeless and blah - would totally agree with others' comments on the online/catalog styling being done to texture it up, as it just sat on me in real life. In a punchier color, and a tighter fit (not tight, but more fitted) it came to life a bit more and is a keeper! Plan on wearing it with the ripstop cargos rolled up just above the ankle and some cute cloggy heels for a dressed up/dressed down summer look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. phyllis, thanks so much for the review! and sherbie, the maize color is the one i'm most interested in. glad it worked out for you. i definitely will order one with the next extra 20 or 30 off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the reviews...

    During the next extra 20 or 30% off I will be purchasing the navy & pink.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the top, I bought it in an x small, and I agree the arm holes are a lot larger than those shown in the ad.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)