Thursday, August 12, 2010

J.Crew's Jenna Lyons at the Cooper-Hewitt’s Awards

"Thanks!" to so many of you, including TwinGem & Raina, who let us know that this year J.Crew's Jenna Lyons is one of the judges of the {prestigious} Cooper-Hewitt’s Awards.

Also, "thanks!" to Raina, who let us know about an article over at the Cut (click here) about the event (& with images). The article also shares the following tidbits of interest:
Cooper-Hewitt’s Awards Lunch With Michelle Obama and Tim Gunn
By Wendy Goodman
July 30, 2010

For this edition of Design Hunting, I traveled to Washington, D.C., for the Cooper-Hewitt's National Design Awards luncheon; Michelle Obama was the honorary patron. The festivities included a cocktail party, a Teen Design Fair breakfast (featuring guest speaker Tim Gunn), and the luncheon itself, at which the First Lady delivered an impassioned speech. ...

{Caption to Image Above}The cocktail party hosted by the Cooper-Hewitt was a great opportunity to meet the Design Award winners, the runners-up, and the jurors. They were an awesome bunch. Here is Jenna Lyons, the president of J.Crew, looking gorgeous with her husband, Vincent Mazeau. Lyons was one of the jurors this year.

{Caption to Left Image} The Teen Design Fair was held in the Grand Salon of D.C.'s Renwick Gallery, where each designer had a table. Jenna Lyons was the most popular, as you can see. Who doesn’t love J.Crew?
I actually really like her second outfit (with all the teens). And I love that she uses the Globe-Trotter® Centenary 28" Suitcase With Wheels (Item 99424; $1,600.00) like its an every day piece of luggage. Not with a price tag like that! ;) But it is gorgeous. :)

What are your thoughts on the Cooper-Hewitt’s Awards? Do you like the outfits Jenna Lyons is wearing?

18 comments:

  1. When I first read Ms. Lyons would be a juror this year I was thrilled for her--it is a huge honor moving beyond the arena of fashion design into the design world at large but to have lunch at the White House is really exciting--Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like the dress she wore to the opening of the bridal store. I love that dress. And I usually hate the way Jenna dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna looks pretty & relaxed.

    OT - Madewell -- use BONUS for free shipping on $100 or more 'for a limited time.' There is another code on the home page for free shipping on $100, but this one's easy to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, so JENNA is the one who can wear such low cut tops to the "office". No wonder they design extreme v-necks and mini skirts so regularly, it's the isolated fashion world! (Guuuuuurl, you look faaaaaaaaabulus).

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG..I want that dress. It is gorgeous!!! (Although, I'm sure that it is part of the Collection line and the price tag is $3000)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenna looks relaxed and confident -- confident that her seams will not open, her hems will not fall down, random pieces of nylon thread will not poke her, she will not suddenly start to itch or perspire; relaxed because her shoes do not make her feet hurt. this is what quality is about, and this is what we all want from our clothes. Alas lately fewer and fewer of us have been finding the concept and execution at JC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenna looks incredible. I feel that it is her aura of style (even though many times I don't even like what she is wearing) that keeps me reaching for J Crew time and time again. When wearing J Crew I too feel more confident and stylish no matter what the occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL at Amy!

    I'm happy for Jenna and glad for her that she's getting this kind of exposure. I think that it will be good for the brand. I just wish the brand were still as good for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't tell, but is she wearing the new Bronson booties in the first picture? I'm eager to read some reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually like what Jenna is wearing. A refreshing look from all those crazy paint splattered cargo pants, over-sized glasses, and sequin pants...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is she wearing tights? In summer?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I notice it says the event was also attended by Tim Gunn. Wouldn't Jenna make a great judge on Project Runway?? I hope they discussed it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can I just ask why women who work in fashion ALWAYS seem to put their toes together when they are photographed? I think they think it makes them look "coltish" and "leggy" like Alexa Chung or some Sartorialist photo but really it just makes them look like they're five years old and/or have to pee. It's just dreadful. So I say whatever with the black tights, but Jenna, be proud to be a grown woman -- and pose like one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jenna + Hubby are adorable together. I must confess that I've been shaking my head when I've seen chicas wearing opaque black tights here in DC this summer. IT'S 100 DEGREES OUT, CHICAS!!!!! Just does not compute for me.

    Lol-- the caption for the 2nd photo says Jenna was the "most popular" of the designers-- it looks like she was the only one any of the kids were interested in!!!!! Poor other designers! Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh, wellsaidfred.... re: tights. Indeed - it would take a handful of people to get me into a pair in August - someone to hold me down, others to pull them up my kicking, fighting legs. It seems such a poor sartorial choice for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sorry. Jenna's dress looks like Liberace's bathrobe. And the black tights are way too high-contrast with the nude coloured (SURPRISE!) dress. I'd love to hear what Tim Gunn has to say about JC's stylings of late.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Maybe Tim Gunn, in his gentle tactful way, can tell Miss Jenna what real garmentos call clothing with seams that open, trims that fall off, zips that buckle? is it -- comment dit-on - ragg?

    As to tights, let us just be grateful she's not wearing black nylon knee-his. Impressionable youth are present.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read once that Jenna Lyons has some sort of skin condition and doesn't expose much of it. She is also past 40 so I do not begrudge her the tights. I like them and although warm back eastis it any cooler at night? I like how I have seen her at three different events in the same dress. She seems approachable.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)