Tuesday, November 2, 2010

J.Crew's Marissa Webb On Spring 2011

A big "thanks!" to Silver Lining (in this post) who shared the following article from Elle (click here to read in its entirety) with us.
Marissa Webb On Spring: “Not Your Usual J.Crew Mix”
By Britt Aboutaleb

October 29, 2010


Last night, American Express hosted a holiday shopping party at J.Crew’s 5th Avenue flagship in New York. Jenna Lyons, Frank Muytjens, Marissa Webb and even CEO Mickey Drexler were on hand to help shoppers put together sparkling outfits and pick out gifts, but, despite our love of marled wool and Christmas cocktail dresses, we wanted to know about spring.


The brand’s presentations (held at New York’s Milk Studios) are almost as anticipated as fashion week, and next week’s spring reveal (on Thursday) is no exception. Now that Lyons reigns as President, she’ll formally introduce Webb, the VP of Women’s Design to the industry.


We asked Webb for a three-word sneak peek at spring, but she was too excited to stop talking: “Colorful. New silhouettes. New proportions — I mean, I could give you a lot! It’s more about the silhouettes, making an easy, colorful impact. There’s a little twist because it’s not your usual J.Crew mix, it’s more about the piece itself. It’ll still feel like J.Crew, because of the color, but with really exaggerated silhouettes.”


J.Crew’s mastered the art of introducing something new and suddenly making it seem necessary, so consider us on board for spring.
Well Ms. Webb, you got my interest! Now I just need some visuals. Hopefully we will see some images of next year's collection soon.

What are your thoughts on Marissa Webbs new role at J.Crew? Are you excited to see what perspective she will bring?

25 comments:

  1. Color - YAY!

    Exaggerated silhouettes - YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh sounds interesting! Will be on the lookout Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wether I like it or hate it, I'm really curious to see what they've come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to seeing some change from what has been offered the past year or so. I've been told we're going to be seeing less embellished tees and the return of longer hemlines...can't wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beverly, I think you said it best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. REALLY Exaggerated silhouettes--that parting comment really scares me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bring on the change! I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am excited but a bit nervous. I don't work as an international lady of leisure/fashionista and frankly that's all I could do with a lot of their newer clothes. Sooner or later, I have to go to that job where I earn the money to buy clothes from places like J. Crew so at least some of it has to be wearable in corporate America.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, J Crew, where are you going?

    Did they show any pictures? Will the Spring line be appealing or 'edgy'?

    Is this the season where we see if they come back to their loyal base, or continue on their path toward their 'edie beale' looks. Have they become too hip for their customers?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think they should create a test panel of women who might do one or more of the following in the course of a day or evening:
    -- run after small children;
    -- reach files on high shelves;
    -- drive a carpool, chair a committee, placate a teacher;
    -- run from office to client/to court/to other office;
    -- work for companies with dress codes;
    -- have in-laws or corporate events on their social schedules whether they like it or not;
    -- already have exaggerated silhouettes but are trying to find time to get to a gym for it;
    -- sit at a desk without wondering why the workplace letch is leaning over;
    --catch buses, catch trains, catch planes, catch butterflies, catch the puppy, catch the baby when she heads for the door, catch the cat when she heads for the cashmere.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fred:

    You are the blog muse for sure! ITA with you.

    Exaggerated silhouettes sounds scary to me. They're bad enough now. And frankly, I dont' think the colors are all that great either. It will be interesting for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Women who already have exaggerated silhouettes! LOL!

    I hope exaggerated silhouettes doesn't equal really, really big ruffles!

    All in all, though, I am hopeful after reading the article.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I already have an exaggerated silhouette. Thanks J Crew. How about giving me some tailored separates so I don't look like a potato sack.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WFF: Love it! ^_^

    I'd like to see what Marissa Webb means by exaggerated silhouettes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm looking forward to color b/c I look terrible in neutrals (although I keep trying to wear them :D). I'm not thrilled with exaggerated silhouettes. I wonder exactly what they mean by that? I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. WFF, LOL!!!
    already have exaggerated silhouettes hahaha
    losing my hope here...

    ReplyDelete
  18. When are the new arrivals due?

    ReplyDelete
  19. WFF--hysterical! Even though I am self employed there is still the "in-law" dilemma that always has me most baffled, standing in my closet in front of the mirror. That and the dog that prefers I wear black to go with her fur.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Did anyone else notice that J.Crew in Good Company is not on the website? I don't see Essie, Ray-ban, Timex anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  21. ElleP

    No "In good company" because the 25% off does not apply to name merchandise. It'll be back. This usually happens during these promos.

    ReplyDelete
  22. If this is what Marissa is talking about...

    http://www.garancedore.fr/en/2010/10/03/from-the-front-row-jil-sander/

    http://www.garancedore.fr/en/2010/10/04/from-the-front-row-dries-van-noten-2/

    It'd be interesting to see how JC interprets the Spring collectiions.

    ReplyDelete
  23. @ClosetCrisis: thanks for those links. Jill Sanders looked very Avant-garde style with the simplistic yet exaggerated silhouettes. DVN show seems more wearable, but I don't think I can rock those broad shoulder blazers in real life. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)