Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Q&A With J.Crew's Marissa Webb

"Thanks!" to J, who shared the following article from Beautiful Stranger with us (click here to read in its entirety).
Name: Marissa Webb

Occupation
: Head of Women's Design for J.Crew

Home
: NYC; born in Korea (and adopted at the age of 4, along with her 3 biological siblings)

First thing she consumes in the a.m
.: "I must have my coffee!"

Personal style
: "I have many sides to me...maybe it's the Gemini in me. I love mixing things up and experimenting with proportions and contrast. I'm always borrowing my fiance's shirts, sweaters, ties, even his watch at times. The 'boy/girl' mix is definitely something I gravitate towards. I also love to mix vintage with new, shine with rugged. But, at the same time, I love a simple chic dress; but I would probably pair it with crazy-heeled boots."

Wearing
: J. Crew cashmere sweater and gloves, J.Crew Collection shearling sweater vest, Prada skirt, Fendi heels

When she knew she wanted to be a designer
: "I remember flipping through my mother's fashion magazines as a young child in PA and thinking how glamorous it all looked. I loved to paint and draw, so I would pump out sketches of my own and ask my mom for her opinion. I didn't grow up thinking I would be a 'fashion designer.' I always said I was going to be a race car driver or a psychiatrist. I started college focusing on psychology and realized I didn't want to sit in an office all day. I began taking illustration classes at FIT and, once I started my first internship with Daryl K, that's when I knew."

If she weren't a designer, what she'd be
: "I love animals and can't stand to see the abuse that so many of them go through. I would definitely do something focusing on that but would also love to write and illustrate children's books."

Advice she’d give to anyone entering her field
: "Work hard! Do whatever it takes to stand out from the others. Don't ever think it's a slam dunk. Learn something new everyday. When I first started in this industry, I would take any unpaid internship and was just thrilled to be there. I ate Ramen noodles everyday because I had no money. I remember once I had to pick up a bunch of garments for a show and it was pouring out. I was standing on the sidewalk with my arms stacked full, looking like a wet dog, when a taxi pulled up. I told him I had no money, but he took pity and offered me a free ride. I wish I could thank him for his kindness now. The simple message: It's not easy, but if you want it, you must work for it. Stay positive and take everything as a lesson for the future."

Inspiration
: "I find life around me inspiring. It could be a smudge of worker's paint on the sidewalk or the texture of the crumbling side of a building. It could be traveling or discovering a new artist or as simple as taking a bike ride through the streets of NYC."

Designers she admires
: "Currently, I'm obsessed with Celine, Comme des Garcons with Junya Watanabe, Lanvin and the amazing Alber Elbaz. I'm also a huge admirer of Derek Lam and Dries Van Noten. I really liked the spring presentation from DSquared. Oh, and I can't forget 45rpm and Isabel Marant."

Wardrobe essentials
: "Classics are a must to layer in with fun fashion--white shirts (I think I have over 20 of all different silhouettes), a favorite pair of jeans, black and navy blazers, great crewneck sweaters. And don't even get me started on accessories."

Her uniform
: "If I want to be comfortable and don't have much time to think about it, I usually throw on a pair of slim cropped pants (in any fabrication from denim to wool to leather) with something oversized on top."

Her easy dress-up trick
: Jewelry. "It looks like I put some thought into what I'm wearing."

Favorite item in her collection
: "This is impossible to answer! It could be my army green trench from Comme des Garcons with Junya Watanabe or my Burberry Prorsum shearling lined sky-high boots or my J. Crew cashmere sweaters. I could go on and on."

Advice on dressing your best:

1) Don't be afraid to explore. People get into habits or won't try something new because they think it's not right for them. You'd be surprised what does work.
2) Personalize an item. Don't think you have to wear it exactly the way it looks off the rack. I often have the sleeves of my jackets shortened to a bracelet length just because I like that proportion on me, or have the legs of a pant taken in.
3) Highlight what you like best about yourself. If you have great arms, show them off. Great ankles? Crop your pants to just the right spot.

What she'd never be caught dead wearing
: "One of those stuffed animal backpacks. I find them a bit disturbing, especially on women beyond a certain age."

Worth the splurge
: A great bag or shoes. "If you can't refurbish your wardrobe for a season, accessories are a great way to refresh your look. Especially if they're colorful."

Fave NY shops
(besides J. Crew collection stores): Odin, A.P.C. and Bergdorfs for one-stop shopping
Is it just me or does Melissa work that outfit well!? I would never put an outfit like that together and I would never be able to pull it off, but she can. :) I also look forward to hearing more from Ms. Webb and how she will influence the women's collection at J.Crew.

What are your thoughts on Marissa Webb's responses? Do you agree or disagree with any points she made? Do you like her outfit? :)

35 comments:

  1. I have seen Marissa in articles/blogs occasionally before and admired her style a LOT - I prefer it to Jenna's.

    But she had me when she said she hates to see animals being abused... she could be the least stylish person on the planet, and I'd love her for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I find it a bit ridiculous that in the same article she comments on hating to see animal abuse, a photo is used with her wearing FUR! Where is her PR person?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love her style, it's really sculptural and she really makes the most of her assets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't stand to see animals abused... but is wearing shearling. Marissa, you are a freakin' idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. catherine, that's the first thing I thought too. Not very bright...

    No, those skirts would never look good on me (style and way too short).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am happy that she has identified the "fashion emergency" in case of which she carries Lulu Frost jewelry in her purse (mentioned by Marissa in a January 7 post). It is obviously in case someone tells her she looks like she did put any thought into her OOD. Whew. Now I can concentrate on work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! So interesting to have an interview with Marissa Webb, she has great style and must fit in perfectly with J. Crew. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She's stunning! This is the first picture I've seen of her and it's like looking at a real-life version of one of the catalogue models. You can definitely tell she designs for herself. I liked her responses, but as others have mentioned, the fur vest reeks of hypocrisy :(

    And I agree Mia. I googled her and also really prefer her style to Jenna's. It's much more believable and actually flattering

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm, borrowing her fiance's clothes sounds so familiar, I'm sure I've heard that somewhere before. LOL

    Like that she feels classics are a must. I totally agree and hope that means J.Crew will continue with the classics that they do so well: pencil skirts, perfect shirts, Jackie sweaters, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She's cute and all, and I agree with Tabitha that she makes the most of her assets.

    It's becoming clearer and clearer why we are seeing micro-minis, billow-y tops, and skintight pants. Not everyone wants to look like you, Marissa. Some of us want to look like JCrew. You know, the old successful JCrew.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ok, that sounded harsh. And I didn't mean it that way. Just that while I admire her for making her style work for her, it's not mine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. She lost me when she said she likes the girl/boy mix of fashion. I have NO doubt she was told to say that. Between that and the fact that she's wearing fur and says she cares about animals...ugh. She's a cute girl, but this is all marketing - no sincerity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Does anyone know if J. Crew is buying its wool from humane sources yet? Ironic that she hates animal abuse if J. Crew is still buying mulesed wool.

    By the way, I think the "borrowed from the boys" has been done and done again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. catherine, I was just about to say the same thing! Maybe don't talk about animal abuse in the same article that pictures you wearing a shearling vest??

    Otherwise, cute article.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the article, Alexis!

    I enjoy reading the other posts and I agree with most of what everyone says about the article. Seems like the same old same old we have heard from JCrew interviews before. I was hoping for some different and new inspiration and ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Marissa has a great figure, but I don't like the outfit. I'd swap out the skirt for a different one. The color doesn't go well w/the other pieces. Maybe it reads different irl. Lori J hit the nail on the head about these interviews smacking of pr. They definitely lack sincerity, which sets ppl off on the comments. As far as the borrowing from the boys thing, gag me already. I mean move. On. In the interview she also mentions wearing men's cologne, which makes sense as some are quite nice and it's all about your body chemistry. However, it's simply overdone and tired. I am and want to be a girl. Despite how they want to portray themselves, J Crew is behind in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good catch about the vest and the animal abuse comment! :( I totally missed connecting the two dots there.

    On a bright note, she is super pretty. She could be a model herself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I also think Marissa has the petite frame that work those mini skirts well but how many of regular JC shoppers are in the fashion industry? I also thought it was contradictory for her to be wearing fur and talking about animal abuse. When I saw those JC collection Mongolian Lamb vest and bag last year on the catalog I was really disgusted.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oops -- of course I meant "did NOT"! Guess I started thinking about work too early!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's great to hear from the design leader at J.Crew, so we can see how Ms. Webb's perspective diverges/converges with Ms. Lyon's. I think every designer designs for themselves somewhat. The key is having a balanced team around you and collaborating on pieces that will flatter the greatest number of your customers.

    Based on what I read here, I'm excited to see what Ms. Webb and the team comes up with in future seasons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like her outfit too and I think the colors work well together IMO. Like many of you here, I don't think her answers are sincere at all.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thought I'd Chime in;

    Thought Ms. Webb looks cute and definitely has the frame to pull it off. But most of us don't look like that...And we certainly don't all aspire to the androgynous look they are pushing. Like Gi gi I want to look and feel girlie and feminine.

    Even though I am a svelte size 2 myself I really wish JC would mix it up a bit with the models. If corporate took a look at all the JCA blogs and reviews they'd see how the average woman is built and how we look in their clothes. WHY CAN"T THEY OCCASIONALLY SHOW A MORE WOMANLY FIGURED MODEL — Go on break the mold JC. I am sure JC fans will appreciate being included. I am so sick of seeing the same models faces all over the web. Surely there is more than one agency out there. That's why CHICTOPIA.com and other OOTD sites are so great — Real women in the Real world.

    OK that's my gripe for the day. Hope someone at JC can pass this on!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am always so sad when a JC exec is interviewed and then drawn and quartered by our community. Especially Ms Webb as she is probably new to interviewing. How many of you eat meat and are certain it was humanely raised AND slaughtered. Even silk worms, down geese and cashmere goats suffer in our quest for fashion (check Peta for how much). We all just draw the lines in different places.

    I would also rather read an honest, enthusiastic interview than one that has been coached and polished. She seems human and stylish which is what the job calls for. My $.02.

    ReplyDelete
  24. j crew stands behind not using fur - shearling is a by-product. You should all google shearling. i found her answers honest and genuine. and she looks amazing! Great style.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you, gemtwin & jojo. My thoughts exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  26. tastymoog - totally uncalled for. shearling is not FUR! its a by-product like gem twin and jojo said. Maybe you are the idiot with really bad manners. ms.webb has 3 dogs and would take in every stray if she could. Know the facts befores blurting out ignorant and unsophisticatd comments.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am all for a discussion on shearling (especially since I am not too familiar with the process, even after Googling it a few times). However, let's try to leave the name calling & attacks (on all sides) out of it. Now back to the Crew. :)

    P.S. Gem Twin, I agree. I enjoy reading her honest interview and look forward to seeing what she brings to J.Crew. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. H,

    I did not say shearling was fur. And, there IS animal hide attached to shearling. Pretty sure the animal isn't going to survive without its skin. That vest has suede panels.

    and yes, i am a vegetarian and 90% of my leather shoes are thrifted/vintage.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I wonder if dear, sophisticated "H" is the person from JCREW GROUP who spent over 2 hours on my blog. *waves* hello!

    ReplyDelete
  30. alexis shearling is a by-product in which the entire animal is used - the animal is not bred for its skin - all parts are used. i know that jcrew is against the use of fur. I loved the article, Marissa sounds quite genuine and shared a lot of personal information. have met her before and seen her in her boyfriends shirts/ sweaters. Dont think it was a PR push.
    and tastymoog - you just sound not very nice.

    all the best ms.webb.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm with you Gem Twin and JoJo on both Marissa's style/look and on the important differences between wearing fur opposed to shearling. :) It's nice to come across genuine, productive comments rather than mean spirited spiteful attitudes, or dare I say... jealousy??

    I personally think name calling (not to mention any names - you should know who you are and be ashamed of yourselves) says more about the person slinging than the person they are being slung at.

    I also find it refreshing that in a day and age where everyone strives so very hard to prove themselves unique=better, Marissa is open and honest about the fact that her style includes (but is not limited to) some well tested tricks of the trade (tricks that could even be called cliche), but she uses them in her own way along with her own personal touches. This is part of what defines her as a great designer and company figurehead. Isn't it more important that she's being genuine, rather than being fed lines from some PR person?

    J.Crew is not all skinny jeans and mini clothes designed only for people of Marissa's stature - there are sizes and styles for all types, which is only part of what, I think, makes J.Crew great.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks everyone, especially StylishWannabe, who helped explain shearling. I understand the process a bit better now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. been following along and here are just some of my thoughts.

    mommy dearest-no one asked us to dress like marissa. But i personally really like her style. And yes, she's adorable. is that a reason to be nasty? Sorry but it just makes us sound bitter.
    this was about her own style not yours or mine. Besides that, it was much more then that. I agree she was very personal and intimate. doubt the PR forced anything out of her mouth. Did anyone really read the article? adopted, worked her ass off to get to where she is, has 3 dogs ...etc. she sounds humble AND smart. i agree with gem twin, jordan. why not the positive and stop looking to insult and attack.
    just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ok- this post seems to have gotten "off the tracks" to a place I think we all prefer it not to go. Therefore, I am disabling the comments.

    I want to also add that this community is a great one as we are generally so helpful. A wonderful resource and place, that I hope we can continue to maintain. :)

    ReplyDelete