Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Inspiration Behind J.Crew's Spring 2011 Men's Collection

There are two great articles that discuss how the Portland Museum of Art’s Winslow Homer Studio inspired J.Crew’s Spring 2011 Men’s Collection. To read more about this, check out:
  • "The Portland Museum of Art's Winslow Homer Studio is the Inspiration for J.Crew's Spring 2011 Men's Collection"
    [Art Daily]
  • "Bob Keyes: J.Crew dabbles in Homer's palette"
    [The Portland Press Herald]
J.Crew Head of Men’s design Frank Muytjens took his team to the Winslow Homer Studio, to research the style behind their Spring men’s line. Also shared is the following quote:
"I always look to his work for inspiration," Muytjens said in an e-mail exchange. "The cloudy grays of the sky, the inky navy of the ocean -- they make for a very moody and masculine color palette. One of my favorites is a painting called 'Weatherbeaten,' and it perfectly sums up the J.Crew spring '11 men's line. Its rugged, hefty fabrics, ocean-faded colors and some of our garments look like they have been bleached out by the sun and the ocean, which makes them look like they've been around forever." [The Portland Press Herald]
I do adore the Spring Collection for Men. Way to go Frank!

What are your thoughts on the inspiration for Spring 2011 Men's Collection? Are there any pieces that stand out for you as "must-haves"?

11 comments:

  1. The men are so lucky to have Frank. I wish J.Crew would allow him to design for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the color palette.

    My thoughts exactly with FFM - why can't we have clothes like these?

    Instead we get the candy-colored metallic sequined ruffled thin t-shirts with feather and random artwork scribbled all over it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FFM: I couldn't agree more. :) Maybe he could do a special, limited collection for Women. (Which would not be too much of a stretch for him since I believe he worked on Women's at J.Crew for awhile.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And, guess what my word verification is - warip.

    As in "what a rip" - for that Rideau cashmere coat for $999...

    ReplyDelete
  5. JC needs to borrow Frank from the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The men's line is strong once again. Looks like I'll be sharing some $$$ with J.Crew again this spring.

    I'm thinking that the powder blue fleece sweatshirt and a madras shirt are on the must have list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i like the new fits on the chino/pants/jeans.

    they are slimed but not tight. looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ITA w/ FFM. I hope to pick up few items for husband when they are marked down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It hate to do the OT post!!! I just can't wait for the correct place for it.

    I just was so impressed with my customer service experience with Lands End Canvas. I had missed a promo by a day (40% off and item), they still honored it for me and then with only a $200.00 purchase they sent me a hand written thank you card. Not to mention I was presently surprised by the quality with the items I had ordered especially for the price I paid.

    Unfortunately, even though I LOVE Jcrew and will forever, and even with my 5 digit shopping spree (before you turn me in for therapy I just had a baby and so I had to rework my wardrobe....) I received (drum roll please) Nothing?

    I know you are bigger than Canvas Jcrew but I just want a little love back from time to time. I sometimes feel like it is really a one sided relationship.

    Given I know my experience with Lands End is over and above the expected. I guess I had just hoped for a little courting from my beloved of many years (maybe it is Valentines Day still rubbing off on me).

    I know this experience and feeling isn't earth-shattering to this blog but I had to put it out there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I realized that 5 figures means I spent $10,000+ Gasp! I meant 4 figures.... so much for trying to keep my spending amount politically correct....

    Blame it on mommy brain!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If the current forecast is right that the prices of clothes are going up (higher raw material costs and labor), my must have for spring is the new Ludlow seersucker suit in athletic blue of course. Here's hoping for a repeat of summer of '10 :-) Might post this QUESTION FOR GQ'S STYLE GUY: Is it OK to wear a seersucker suit with a tan trench coat when the temp is 55F or do you just break out the suit when it is 70F + and sunny?

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)