Friday, March 25, 2011

Made In Italy: About a Print

"Thanks!" to many of you, who let us know about the following updated feature from J.Crew.

During yesterday's new arrivals, J.Crew also included Part 3 of their "Made-in-Italy" feature, with a neat little video titled "About a Print":
The Backstory
That 22-color paisley screened by hand. That gold-threaded jacquard woven on special looms. That intricate floral dating back 90 years. For the final leg of our Italian research trip, we visited the esteemed Ratti and Canepa mills in Como to see how the creation of a print is truly a time-honored tradition. These mills are legendary for their archives— ranging back to the 1940s and 1950s, even to the 19th century— and they're our design team's destinations for inspiration for many of our collections. Douglas Keeve (an award-winning director) joined the team to document the process and the people and places behind it.
You can watch the video at the end of this post. You can also click the link HERE.

Once again, I enjoyed the behind-the-scenes look. First, that dog is the opening scene is too cute! Second, I enjoyed the introduction to Somsack Sikhounmuong, another designer at J.Crew. Hopefully we will get to see more of him.

As for the prints... J.Crew's prints over the years have been so beautiful! (Like the Veruschka, San Remo, Trastevere Paisley, and Milo prints to name a few.) It is really interesting to see them at their source in Italy.

What are your thoughts on the video? Do you think you like the styles more now that you have seen the video?


18 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this one the most of the three. I think that Somsack did the drawing that was on the cover of the January 2009 catalog - and the drawings that were on the JC stationery that they were giving away a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see more beautiful prints, especially in the dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure hope they start using some of those beautiful prints in their designs again...soon!

    OT: Is Jenna wearing the Joseph blazer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, let's see more fabulous prints instead of exposed zippers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the film very very much. I have sewed for many many years and am always on the hunt for high quality fabrics. I would have been totally awestruck by the samples at the two companies they visited.

    I can't get that Organza dot mini out of my mind. I'm not a green person or a dot person and yet I was totally drawn to that green skirt, which apparently sold in a millisecond never to be seen again. I love that fabric! I wonder if it came from one of those two Italian companies, they were looking at similar fabric samples.

    It's nice that Jenna was wearing the brocade top. :) It looked great on her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been "visiting" the Giant Paisley skirt almost daily. Fortunately there are a few B&Ms not far from home/work/friends, so it's not all that embarrassing. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful and unique prints is what drew me to J.Crew. I hope to see more of them VERY SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WFF you crack me up--maybe you should take it home to foster care for it.... See if it plays nicely with your other closet residents.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always enjoy 'behind the scenes' videos, but one about fabric prints is even more special.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder if Somsack is the one who designed the floral silk driving scarf?

    ReplyDelete
  11. does anyone know who makes the sequin top that Marissa Webb is wearing?

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. At first I thought Marissa's sparkly tee was the Madewell silk sparkle tee, but in a lighter color than is currently available. They're both cropped and have a very drapey quality. But I see that the Madewell tee has raglan sleeves and Marissa's has set in sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just watched the shoe video again and noticed that Marissa is wearing that same tee in that video too, when they're in the restaurant and her new shoes arrive and she tries them on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now *this* video I liked. This is the kind of thing I like to see. Of course, I had to first get over my insane jealousy. Would that my work would send me to Como, where I could look at beautiful fabrics all day long! *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks Tamara! Does anyone know those particular shoes ever became available for sale?

    ReplyDelete
  17. All due respect to Jenna and crew, who said at least twice in this film, that she can't find craftsmanship or care for textiles anywhere but in Italy, I would suggest she make a visit to Kyoto, Japan. Japan is famous for their block prints, silk brocades and amazing weaves. The luxury textile industry there predates that in Europe by centuries. The industry is alive and well, with families who have been involved for generations, creating intricate and high quality products. I'm sure there are other pockets of luxury craftsmanship elsewhere, this is one that comes to my mind.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)