Thursday, November 10, 2011

J.Crew Offers {New} Classic Timepiece

"Thanks!" to J.Crew Guy In Canada, who let us know about an article over at The New York Times (click here to read in its entirety):
Ticking Again: Reviving a Classic Timepiece
By Erica Blumenthal
November 7, 2011

The watch mavens at Tourneau have teamed up with J. Crew to revive a little-known Swiss watchmaker, Mougin & Piquard. The company, founded in the 1920s by Ernest Mougin and Paul Piquard, had designed traditional mechanical watches with a Parisian sensibility, much in the manner of the Mougin family, which made ornate timepieces in late-19th-century Paris.

The company changed hands in 1960, then went out of business the following decade with the advent of the quartz movement. The new watches, with the rare Mougin & Piquard logo, are based on sketches from the company’s archives. Swiss-made with a quartz movement and a stainless steel case, they have either a cream face and brown leather strap or a black face and strap.

Mougin & Piquard for J. Crew grande seconde watch, $425 at J.Crew Men’s stores; jcrew.com.
J.Crew does a good job with their partnerships with watches. I constantly wear my Timex Military Watch (Item 10884; $150.00) from J.Crew. As for the Mougin & Piquard for J. Crew... me likey! It's a good thing that the price tag is too high for me, or I would have already ordered one of them! ;)

What are your thoughts on the watch offerings at J.Crew? Are you a fan of the latest classic timepiece?

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I'm curious to see one in real life. I can't find the measurements, which makes it hard to picture its scale. I've bought all J. Crew's men's Timexes so far, but I don't think I can afford to splurge on one of these any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the first J.Crew Timex and wear it all the time; especially in summer. Thought about the newest Timex, but at $200 I'm unsure I can justify it. This new watch is seriously beautiful and classic, but at $500 I need to know much more about it before pulling the trigger. Guess I need to see it in person to jump off my wallet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From a watch nerd's perspective, the cost is way too high for a quartz movement. I also find it rather ironic that J.Crew and Mougin & Piquard agreed upon making it a quartz movement since the popularity of quartz basically destroyed the company the first time around. Maybe in the future they'll make an automatic model instead...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrew, it's 41mm in diameter. You can find more info at their website: http://www.mouginpiquard.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. fountainpeneater, thanks! That seems like a nice size.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)