Thursday, November 3, 2011

Product Review: Hacking Jacket in Herringbone

Hacking Jacket in Herringbone
Click here for product page
Item 48263
Regular: $198.00
Secret sale in-stores: $125.00

No lie, I had my eye on this jacket for some time. So when it went down to $125 (as mentioned in the "Secret Sale: Hacking Jacket for $125 {limited time..." post), I thought I would finally get it.

J.Crew describes this jacket as the following:
Inspired by traditional British riding jackets, our newest wear-with-all third piece features a longer, leaner silhouette with a nipped-in waist for a flattering effect. Crafted in one of our favorite menswear-inspired herringbones in completely crush-worthy colors, it's the kind of jacket you'll wear—and love—for seasons to come (we're wearing ours riding subways, bicycles and, of course, horses). Wool. Fitted. Notch collar. Long sleeves. Flap pockets. Functional buttons at cuffs. Back vent. Fully lined. Hits below hip. Import. Dry clean.
Luckily, my local store had some of these jackets available for me to try on. When it came to sizing, I went with the size 2. (For reference, I am a 34B.) No vanity sizing here (unlike other jackets from current seasons, where I can size down to 0 easily because they are cut generously). The size 2 fit me best here. It's like J.Crew sizing from 2007-8! ;) I should add that the shoulders seemed to fit a bit short, but perfect in the waist.

This jacket comes in so many delicious shades (charcoal, grass, heather dark grape, vibrant flame, & midnight ocean) that it was difficult narrowing it down to one. The color I ended up getting is the Heather Dark Grape (and it is a rich shade of purple). It is a darker shade than the Lexington Jacket in Iris.

The material is wool and it is itchy! Quite a bit actually. This makes me so very unhappy. :( There was also a lot of white fuzzy hair all over the jacket. (I had to use a lint roller to get it all off.) Not sure what to make of this...

The length of this jacket is slightly longer than some of their other jackets. Since I am a pair shape, this creates a slight opening in the back flap. I don't mind this look, but some may be concerned. Therefore, you may want to try this jacket on beforehand (if that option is available to you).

The length of the sleeves works great for me (not too long, not too short). There is also a stripe-pattern for the inside lining of the sleeves in case you want to fold them over.

The jacket looks absolutely lovely with the collar up. Too bad that J.Crew didn't add any special silk lining under the collar. This brings me to my other point... the inside of the jacket. There is nothing special inside either. Even the inside pocket looks bored by the lack of silk print accents. At least J.Crew brought back the leather buttons. :)

For more reviews on this blazer, check out the following additional reviews & real life images:
What are your thoughts on the Hacking Jacket in Herringbone? Do you own this jacket? Have you tried it on at a store? Do you like this style? If so, please share with us your review. :)

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link love, Alexis!

    Sorry this jacket doesn't seem to work for you! I tried it again last weekend and liked it, but not loved it, so I am still on the fence about getting it. Still it is 100% wool and a good investment, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the order was placed in store last weekend, and I've received an email saying a shipping label has been created Monday, but UPS hasn't received the package in their warehouse yet and it's Wednesday now...getting a tiny bit anxious. Thanks for posting links to all the reviews, Alexis. I'll be on the lookout for the itchy factor (didn't feel it when I tried one on in the store) and the gaping vent issues, before I rip off the tags.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy with my grape Hacking Jacket (in fact, I wore it today) because of the beautiful color, though I must say that it is not quite as fabulous as my azalea Bella. Every single time I wear the Bella I get compliments just walking down the street!

    A couple of gripes about the Hacking Jacket: the second time I wore it I lost two cuff buttons. True, I rolled the sleeves and that may have tugged on the buttons, but I've rolled the cuffs on my Bella for four years with no ill effect. I asked CS twice about getting an extra button and haven't heard anything.

    I am also having the issue with the back vent. It seems to be less of a problem now that the jacket is softening up but it still sticks out a bit. The jacket was mashed flat such that the sides were a little stiff and it didn't want to move into three dimensions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went totally crazy for the hacking jackets this year. I bought the grass, grape, and vibrant flame. I wore the vibrant flame a few times with long sleeve shirts so I didn't think it was that itchy. I wore the grass out one night with a short sleeve shirt and almost died...it was sooo itchy. I was able to return both the grass and grape, but kept the vibrant flame because I had worn it a few times. I have super sensitive skin (really bad eczema) and I it made me break out really bad. I absolutely love the shape on me, but I couldn't do the fabric. I am looking forward to trying to double surge wool which is much softer, because I just love the way that jacket looks. I hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the wonderful review, Alexis, and for the links to all others who have shared, as well!

    I tried a couple different colors of the Hacking Jacket but in the end didn't purchase because it just wasn't a love for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Regarding the discussion yestersday of pokey shoulders and/or shoulder pads with prickle plastic bits that hurt. My hacking jacket was super uncomfortable in the shoulders so back it went. Very disappointed.

    I just went into my closet and enjoyed the ones I have that are well made:) Glad others found some gems out there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so excited when this jacket was first released, I planned to order it in both purple and blue. Unfortunately there were comments about the itch factor and the back vent not lying properly so I didn't even try it. I am very sensitive to wool and I know if there is any scratching at all it would just sit in my closet. I'm prcetty particular about the details too, the odd vent thing was a total turnoff.

    If not for the helpful JCAs I would have wasted money on shipping and a return, not to mention the time my money was tied up in something I couldn't use until the return was completed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mine's been hanging in the client, tags and all, waiting for the decision this post helped me reach. Thanks you, Alexis and JCAs - it goes back, lovely color, good price and all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the grass one and it is working well for me-- I am 5'8" and have the size 8-- I think my shoulders are a bit narrow though. It is not the softer, cushier tweed but a flat tight herringbone. I can see how it could be itchy without an underlayer. I wear with perfect crewneck longsleeve T's, cashmere crews and merino T necks. I especially like it with navy; I can't think of a bright color for this-- can anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the hacking jacket in charcoal and love it. I'm wearing it today actually with the blythe blouse in white and a fuschia cashmere cardigan from a year or so ago.

    Whether you find the wool itchy will depend on how you plan to wear the jacket: if you'll be pairing it with dressy things like blouses that come up high in the neck you won't find it itchy. But the neck may feel scratchy if you just pair it with a t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Called the Lenox Square JC after work last Friday to buy this jacket in Grass over the phone, then drove to ATL on Saturday to pick it up (the SA offered to ship it to me, but I wanted to see some other things in person).

    They're not kidding about their design inspiration - these Hacking Jackets fit exactly like my old hunter/jumper show coat. I have the Heather Bright Berry Double-serge as well and I like both a lot even though the Schoolboy is more my style. The back vent isn't an issue for me since I have no butt to speak of, but the wool is definitely itchy on my arms. That's not a deal-breaker for me since it's my chest, torso, and thighs that react poorly to the touch of woolens, so overall I consider it a great addition to my wardrobe.

    Alexis: I've noticed the little white fuzzies too and I'll venture a guess that JC is now using shorter wool fibers in their jackets to cut costs and they're working their way loose from the weave. Obviously they've been doing that with their sweaters for a while since pilling has become such an issue. Boo.

    Lane: I've worn the Grass color with navy, gray, and off-white so far, and I'm going to do some experimenting with yellows, bright blue, and the bright violet No.2 Pencil skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I obsessed with this jacket for so long! When I saw it was going to be $125 that weekend, I was at the store when they opened! Unfortunately once I tried it on I fell out of love. It's a nice jacket - but doesn't compare to their jackets 3+ years ago. It's itchier material, thinner wool, and bulky in the shoulders and back pleat areas. I'm 5'8, typically a size 2 and I would get a 4 in a jacket to layer. The 4 felt tight in the shoulders and the 6 was huge. The thing that really killed it for me was the buttons. They are really large and bulky in contrast to the jacket. A smooth button in a closer matching material would be so much nicer - I feel like they stand out - huge faux leather hard brown buttons on a gray herringbone, hmm...not crazy about that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review Alexis.

    I have really sensitive skin and had to pass on this jacket. I was so excited when I first saw it online. I thought J. Crew was returning to form but when I saw it in person, I couldn't help but notice all the little details it lacked and the wool did not feel as nice as it should for the price. Even at $125, it's not quite a deal if you only get a season or two of wear because the wool won't wear well over time. I'm certainly not hard on my clothes but I wear them out in the world. Despite all of those factors I was undecided until I tried it on. Although it looks extremely flattering from the front, that back vent is not flattering on my pear shape and the itch factor with a button down on drove me nuts even though I had it on for five minutes of wear in a dressing room. Ugh. J. Crew has started making clothes I'm excited to buy but they still can't quite get it right.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bought this jacket in charcoal... I didn't get the sweet $125 deal, but I did save 15% with my student ID. Anyway, I haven't decided about it yet... I live in LA and so our winters are fairly mild, so I really am unsure about the mileage/$ ratio is worth it.

    Anyway, I wanted to see what you thought about wearing it as outerwear. With a scarf, I feel like it might be adequate even through most days in the winter. I've never purchased a jacket of this style before, so I am not sure if that's typical or not... like would this look alright as a coat, even if paired with sneakers?

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)