Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Product Review: Hilary Dress

Dresses are a great go-to now that the warmer days are approaching (or already here for some of us). The following is a review for a dress I purchased at J.Crew in the last couple of months and absolutely love!

The Hilary Dress (Item 72122; $138.00, now $99.99) is described as follows:
Easy and elegant, this classic beauty is destined to be your wardrobe workhorse. Styled with flattering princess seams (on both the front and back), with a longer-length full skirt that makes it a versatile option for the office and beyond. Rayon. Sleeveless. Back zip. Fully lined. Falls to knee. Import. Dry clean.
At first glance, this dress can be considered quite boring and simple. But don't let that stop you from trying this one on! The classic shape will ensure this dress stays in your wardrobe for years to come.

This dress really is easy and elegant thanks to the flattering fitted top and flowing skirt. The skirt is just the right length too (not too short so you can bend over without worrying, and not too long so it does not look matronly).

Where the top meets the skirt along the waist is perfection too- it is neither too high nor too low on the waist. It also hides any "imperfections" in the tummy & hip region. I especially recommend this dress for all the pear shape ladies (like myself) out there.

As for size, I went with size 2 (for reference I am a 34B). I have found that J.Crew is not vanity sizing all of their dresses recently- so it might be worth trying out sizes in person first. (I started out as a size 2/4 in J.Crew circa 2005, then a size 0 around 2008, and now I am a 0/2 in J.Crew. Mind you, no changes in weight. Just changes in how J.Crew numerically assign their clothes.)

The dress comes in Admiral Blue and Heather Chartreuse. The Admiral Blue is a lovely shade that is not quite navy, not quite royal blue. It is completely versatile for dinner at the city, or shopping on a Saturday afternoon. The Heather Chartreuse is like a mustard yellow. I didn't think much of this color when I initially saw it, but I quickly changed my mind once I tried it on. It really is quite lovely.

For more reviews on this dress, check out the following additional reviews & real life images:
What are your thoughts on the Hilary Dress? Do you own this dress? Have you tried it on at a store? Do you like this style? If so, please share with us your review. :)

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review Alexis! I don't own the dress, but have always thought it was very pretty. Congrats on getting one...I'm sure it looks fantastic on you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FFM! It really is a beautiful dress. I am so happy I was able to get it in both colors. :)

      Delete
  2. I love this dress! I have it in the blue. I wore it on Easter w/ a skinny croc black/white belt, small black cardigan, black pat flats w/ croc tips. You wouldn't think the blue & black would work together but it did :) I wore it again rec w/ a short fitted faded denim jacket. It really is versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love this dress. You're right Alexis--it does not look like much hanging up or even online, but it is a classic, insanely flattering shape. I love the blue but have enough navy dresses already. I just ordered the yellow color with the current promo! I'm glad to hear it's more mustard than green-tinged.

    (Thanks for the link-love, Alexis!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am a huge fan of this dress. i was traveling and needed a dress in a pinch and picked this up on a whim. i have worn it several times both on the weekends and to work.

    i wish they would release a similar cut in another fabric but i suppose the poly will have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed- after the sale today I now have it in both colors. Not much love for the fabric, but the fit and cut is so classic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for the review! is the rayon a problem with wrinkling/shininess?

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)