Tuesday, June 19, 2012

J.Crew Sample Sale in NYC Starts Today

As mentioned in the "Mark Your Calendars: J.Crew Sample Sale is Back {N.YC}" post, J.Crew is running a sample sale in NYC from June 19-24.

"Thanks!" to kat (in this post) who let us know about two related articles from the Racked that are worth reading for anyone interested in attending:
"Thanks!" also to ema (in this post) who gave some sound advice:
I just came out. As usual you need to know your prices but it is worth going IMO. Regular skirts are a good deal at $25 and work/party dresses at $60 too. Collection items are priced as marked, which is often more than the price you can get on fs the website (but they have a lot of one of a kind stuff). It really depends on your luck: I saw someone walking out with a Tillary tote in the blue sea color for $120.
"Thanks!" also to roxy turtle (in this post) who shared some great info:
...I just came from J.Crew's NYC sample sale and thought I'd give a report for any JCAs interested.

There are items from J.Crew (men's and women's), Madewell and Crewcuts. Jewelry, shoes, bags and accessories too (belts, hats, etc.)

I was mostly interested in shoes. They had Monas, Vivs, Valentinas, flats, suede wedges, espadrilles and flip-flops. Heels are in the $100-$150 range mostly while flats are mostly $60-$80. All sizes were stocked but the selection was thin -- maybe 15 or 20 pairs per size in less desirable colors. Bagwise I saw Edies (both the bag and attache version), some leather envelop-style clutches (one with calf hair which was very cute). There were a few cute Madewell small crossbodies too for $90 or so. The bags were $85-$180 from what I saw. There's three display cases of jewelry, mostly current stuff in the $30-$65 range. It was going very quickly.

There is a rack of Collection pieces with mostly sequined stuff and a few more cocktail-style dresses. Sorry I don't know the names of any, but as they were in the $130-$200 price range I wasn't too interested. Lots of chinos in both pants and shorts in a wide range of sizes, mostly navy and black. Some denim, mostly toothpicks, and lots of tops in mostly XS/S. As was the case in the past many were true samples marked up with marker or held with safety pins. Tops seemed to be in the $40-$65 range from what I saw, mostly polys, very few silk or cotton tops from what I could see. There's one rack of skirts too.

On the men's side, it's mostly long sleeve tops, chino pants and one rack of blazers. I could not see any suits and the accessories seemed very slim. Shirts were in the $40-$80 range and blazers started at $125 from what I could see. I'm not sure if they had men's shoes.

The Crewcuts section was four racks of mostly girls' clothing. Lots of cute stuff that started at $25. I didn't see any bridal or bridesmaid items.

I think the sale is worth going if you're into digging for that one special find. I came away with a couple of things that are sold out online so I'm happy, though the shoes I was looking for weren't there. Hope this helps, sorry so long!!
As with all their sample sales, all sales are final. The location for the event is:
260 Sample Sale
260 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10001
nr. 29th St.
212-725-5400

Will you be attending this latest sample sale? If you are, please let us know! If you could also share any information (e.g. merchandise selection, quantity, prices), it would be greatly appreciated. :)

25 comments:

  1. Went around 11:15 a.m. today. Spent an hr on line. Witnessed security complaining and shaking their heads at folks trying to bribe them to avoid joining the line. Super crowded. Spent another hr inside and that's all I could take. There weren't any bubble necklaces left which was on my want list... With jewelry you were allowed to pick out your pieces and have them hold it for you until you're ready to check out.

    Spotted a dress in the most gorgeous print seen here Thisprint sadly it wasn't my size. Hopefully it will be in the next new arrivals roll out.

    Collection pieces spotted in sizes 10 and 12.
    Embellished oxford shirt

    Shimmer sequin cami

    Circle eyelet dress


    Whitley dress in antique floral


    May return on the last day hopefully it won't be so crowded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry the print was the mineral green color selection for the Iphone case.

      Delete
  2. I went around 5pm and waited in line for about 15 minutes. It was pretty cramped as you would imagine and the prices weren't any different from the 30% off final sale in store last week. They had quite a few button down shirts and pencil skirts for $25-30 so that is what I came home with. The shoe selection was still overpriced, with cece flats at $60.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the prices weren't as good as the B&M offerings especially with the 30% off sale promotion.

    Here's the write-up of my experience on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waited like an hour to get in around 1130am and went straight to the shoe rack. Very disappointed. Shoe section is so small compared to the winter sale which took place in last December. Heels and flats all in one rack and each size has 4 shelves. Skimmer is still the same price as winter sale however oxfords and loafers r 100 now. They used to be 65-80 at winter sale. Rain boots r 25 so as the jelly shoes. Very limited sizing. Came out w nothing this time. I am waiting for the winter sale

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just went with another JCA. Was second in line this morning, and we both left disappointed and with NOTHING. The jewelry selection was garbage and the shoes were underwhelming... and those were the highlights. I wouldn't even bother looking at the clothing because there is zero organization size-wise and it is so exasperating that we walked out. Trust me the 30% in store sale is way more worth your time. I did very well there last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny! I must have seen you! I was fourth in line.

      Delete
    2. Probably!! Did you find anything you wanted?

      Delete
  6. If anyone goes this afternoon, would you please let me know if you happen to see the linen dot popover (size XS) or the Jules dress in mariner stripe (size 0)? I've been stalking both items online and haven't been able to connect with them, and I saw them at the sample sale in blogger photos. I'm off from work tomorrow so I'm thinking of getting there nice and early and I'll be so sad if I leave empty handed...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apologies if I'm posting this twice... it doesn't seem to have registered on the first attempt

    If anyone goes this afternoon, would you please let me know if you happen to see the linen dot popover (size XS) or the Jules dress in mariner stripe (size 0)? I've been stalking both items online and haven't been able to connect with them, and I saw them at the sample sale in blogger photos. I'm off from work tomorrow so I'm thinking of getting there nice and early and I'll be so sad if I leave empty handed...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eeek I meant 00 in the Jules dress since that's what I took in the wildcat print... and also, to add to my list, the Scatter-Dot dress. I saw all of these items in the blogger photos but since they got to go on Monday before the sale was open to the public, who knows what's still there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Attn: New Yorkers,

    Planning on attending the J.Crew SAMPLE SALE this week? Check out my review a'la J.Crew should you want to peek inside before braving that long line!

    Read more on the blog:

    http://jennaandthegiantapple.tumblr.com/post/25541732508/my-review-nyc-sample-sale-ala-j-crew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenna this was s helpful! Great review. I wrote a review as well below. Btw, your blog is so helpful, unique and full of info for a fellow NYorker. I'm going to read the Happiness Project- thanks for the review.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey there! yesterday I went to the sample sale and I waited on line for about 15 minutes. As soon as you walk in you have to hand in your purse at check in. I grabbed my wallet and phone. Be prepared to be cramped with hundreds of women diggng through aisles. I found the fellow lady shoppers to be cordial and not desperate for items. I posted pictures of the event on my blog http://trulyrachel.blogspot.com/2012/06/j-crew-sample-sale.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just came back from the sample sale. I heard some of the salespeople saying the crowds were dropping off about 50% from day to day, so while it was definitely a crowded scavenger hunt in there, I had to wait only a few minutes to get in. Everything today was disorganized and a complete mess - no separate racks for JC and Madewell stuff - but they did have a ton of jewelry and shoes. For the most part, the dresses were all together, as were the cashmere and knits, but similar items were not together so I really had to rummage. Found the only linen dot popover in my size for $35, so that kinda made my day. I get the feeling it's not the best quality item, which I assumed was why the online version said to call CS if you wanted to purchase it (which I've only seen for extremely high priced collection items in the past) but for $35 I loved it and I was sold. As far as the jewelry and shoes, I think you can find better prices online during sales, as the heels were all $100 and the flats were $65 and I've found that JC shoes do not last me very long, but I still couldn't resist a pair of Pia calf hair pumps for $100 (yay to no sales tax!) when they're $199 online right now (or $139 after the 30%). If anyone is thinking of going with a specific item in mind, please feel free to ask and I'll let you know if I saw it :)

    Also, I saw very few of the smaller sizes. Lots of 6s and up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. Did you see any Tillary totes in Blue sea ?

      Delete
  13. I went Tuesday and it was insanity! Ended up not buying anything because there was no room to try on.

    Has anyone ventured around 5:00-6:00 since Tuesday? Trying to decide if it is worth it to go back in this 99 degree weather.

    Really interested in the scallop lace top, the Raj paisley shirt, and the linen dot popover (which I had Tuesday but had all sorts of pulls in it from crazy shoppers).

    Thoughts are much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine, I think it should be much better today. This morning I saw three linen dot popovers left - small, medium and x-large (and I really scavenged). In my opinion, they did have the look of having been worn once, but I didn't see any big pulls or holes like I did with some of the other flimsier knits. There was actually a teeny tiny try-on area in the back left and it wasn't too hectic this morning. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  14. Does anyone think there are any Tillary totes left ? I plan on going tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Answer to my own questions. All the bags are done.

      Delete
  15. Just came back from the sample sale. Today they're offering 30% off the final price and I believe tomorrow will be 50% off. Just to let you know, there are no bags left, the accessories are not that great (in my opinion). They are constantly replenishing, dresses, clothing, cashmere and shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out my review of the sale @ www.angiescloset31@blogspot.com

      Delete
  16. I went by today at 7pm because of the additional 30% off. There was no line to get in and it was not crowded at all inside. There was also no wait for the fitting room area or for the registers. Since it wasn't too busy, I was able to look through the racks patiently and ended up with a wool skirt, two sweaters, a tshirt, and a tank top, and my total was under $100. I'm so glad I went!

    They did say they had just added more dresses and tops so in case you're considering going tomorrow, I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Friday afternoon's thunder storm cleared out the line. I went in and got a pair of Martina suede wedges in black, not an odd size either, for $100. They're still $228 online. that was a rare find. Most of the shoes were available for about the same price on summer sale minus discount. You know what's weird? You can't use your J.Crew credit card!

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)